Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Healthy, easy. There are no exact amounts for this spread/salad/side-dish. Experiment with ingredients/amounts.
- Stab eggplant and roast in medium-hot oven along with garlic heads (brush garlic with olive oil) turn occasionally, until eggplant collapses and garlic is soft.
- (You can use parchment paper or silpat pad to line a pan.) Can also be done in a covered grill.
- Chop onion and red pepper.
- After eggplant cools, scoop out flesh, discarding rind, and squeeze roasted garlic cloves into eggplant.
- Either chop or puree eggplant/garlic in a processor or coarsely hand chop the mixture.
- Add the chopped onion and red peppers but don't process further-the caviar should have crunch from these raw ingredients.
- Add olive oil, Kosher salt, black pepper (and optional herbs &/or spices) and mix well.
- Serve with regular or toasted pita, crackers or crudites.
This was really good. Everything was equaled out with everything else. Well done!
This is almost a copy of a famous recepie from my hometown of Odessa, Ukraine. I add a small amount of fried onins to counter the bitterness of eggplant. I also use raw garlic instead of fresh. I roast the pepers along with the eggplant. To add a middle-eastern flavor I might add processed cilantro leaves and walnuts. It is my absolutely favorite eggplant recepie.
I love eggplant, and I'm always looking for new ways to prepare it. This is definitely one :) I've made it twice in the past few weeks. Loved the flavor and the coarsly chopped peppers and onions gave it a good texture (not a fan of cumin, so I omitted it). I had this for supper spread on 7 grain whole wheat toast...very yummy. Also served it with crackers as an appetizer, and it was enjoyed by all.