Roasted Eggplant (Aubergine) Caviar
- Stab eggplant and roast in medium-hot oven along with garlic heads (brush garlic with olive oil) turn occasionally, until eggplant collapses and garlic is soft.
- (You can use parchment paper or silpat pad to line a pan.) Can also be done in a covered grill.
- Chop onion and red pepper.
- After eggplant cools, scoop out flesh, discarding rind, and squeeze roasted garlic cloves into eggplant.
- Either chop or puree eggplant/garlic in a processor or coarsely hand chop the mixture.
- Add the chopped onion and red peppers but don't process further-the caviar should have crunch from these raw ingredients.
- Add olive oil, Kosher salt, black pepper (and optional herbs &/or spices) and mix well.
- Serve with regular or toasted pita, crackers or crudites.