Recipe by ChipotleChick
A yummy make ahead dish! Lowfat and calorie if eaten without the skin. That way it has 165 calories and 5 grams of fat. Needs to marinate at leat 12 hours before cooking. Not included in prep time calculations.
Top Review by Zurie
Just the kind of marinade or sauce I like. Why 3 stars only? Because the recipe, a lovely idea, has several flaws. The spices are far too stingy for a start. I upped the cardamom, ginger, cumin and red pepper flakes to about 1 teaspoon each, and also put a lot of this marinade in the cavity of the chicken. (It was still not enough for real flavour). Then, I could not understand why a cook would marinate a whole chicken in this marinade, roast it, and then remove the skin! So what you are asked to do, is to peel off the really tasty part, and eat the bland chicken underneath. NO WAYS can a marinade used this way penetrate chicken skin!! I'd say, increase the spices and eat the skin! Even serving the sauce (not all that much remained in the dish) separately will not do the trick. OR, use skinless chicken pieces instead of a whole roast chicken, and then continue with the recipe. The salt was not enough, but that's fine, it was added when we ate the chicken. I added the water to the chicken only late in the roasting period. Also, I tented foil over the chicken during most of the roasting time, as it was obvious that the yoghurt sauce would burn quickly. I took off the foil about 30 minutes before the chicken was done, and although I turned the dish in the oven, the marinade still almost burned on top. I'd advise to really use much more of the spices, and also add maybe 1 teaspoon sugar to offset the acidity of the lemon juice and yoghurt. A great start, cook, but the recipe is not yet there! Thank you: I needed to use up some lowfat yoghurt, and I wanted "spicy". I did not quite get it, but this recipe can be the start of something very nice indeed! It needs a bit of testing and editing, I think.
- 3 lbs broiler-fryer chickens
- 1⁄2 teaspoon water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse chicken and pat dry.
- Fold chicken wings across back so that the tipe touch.
- Tie or skewer the drumsticks to its tail.
- Place the chicken in a latge glass bowl.
- Mix the 1/2 teaspoon water and gound mustard in a small bowl.
- Stir in remaining ingredients except 1/4 cup water.
- Pour over chicken.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 12 hours, but no more than 24.
- Heat oven to 375.
- Remove chicken from marinade, reserve the marinade.
- Place the chicken on a rack in a shallow roasting pan.
- Roast chicken 1 hour or more, until juices run clear.
- Spoon the reserved marinade over the chicken when it has 30 minutes left to cook.
- Remove chicken from the roasting pan, and keep it warm.
- Stir the 1/4 cup water in the pan drippings, and heat until hot.
- Remove and discard the skin from the chicken.
- Serve the meat with the sauce.