Recipe by breezermom
I just love the smell of a chicken roasting in the oven when I have time to do it! This recipe came from the Women's Auxillary in Chicago, Illinois. The 30 minute chill time is included in the prep time!
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 3 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 1⁄2 lbs chicken (whole)
- 1 lemon, cut in half
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon black pepper, freshly ground
- curly endive lettuce
Directions See How It's Made
- In a food processor, combine garlic, lemon juice, and 1 tsp olive oil. Process 30 seconds, stopping once to scraped down the sides. Set the garlic paste aside.
- Remove the giblets and neck from the chicken. Rinse chickens thoroughly with cold water. Pat dry. Gently separate the chicken skin from the legs, thighs, and breasts; be careful not to tear the skin. Spread the reserved garlic paste under the skin.
- Place the chicken on a lightly greased rack in a roasting pan, breast side up; rub the remaining olive oil over the chicken. Squeeze the lemon halves over the chickens, and place the halves inside the chicken cavities. Lift the wing tips up and over the back, tucking wing tips under the chicken. Secure with wooden picks, and tie the leg ends together with kitchen string. Sprinkle with the salt and pepper. Cover and chill for 30 minutes.
- Add water to the roasting pan to a depth of 1/2 inch. Insert a meat thermometer into the breast of the chicken, making sure it does not touch bone. Bake, uncovered, at 375 degrees for 1 hour and 20 minutes, or until the meat thermometer registers 170 degrees. Place on a serving platter lined with curly endive.