Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
Rich, yes, but oh, oh, so good!
- 2 1⁄3 cups flour
- 2⁄3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup butter (I used 1 stick plus about 2 T) or 3⁄4 cup margarine (I used 1 stick plus about 2 T)
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips (12 oz pkg)
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk (I used the low fat)
- 1 3⁄4 cups Skor English toffee bits, divided (10 oz pkg)
- Heat oven to 350°.
- Grease 13x9" baking pan.
- Stir together flour and brown sugar in large bowl.
- Cut in butter with pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add egg, mix well.
- Stir in 1 1/2 C chocolate chip and the nuts.
- Reserve 1 1/2 C mixture.
- Press remaining crumb mixture into bottom of prepared pan.
- Bake 10 minutes.
- Pour sweetened condensed milk evenly over hot crust.
- Top with 1 1/2 C toffee bits.
- Sprinkle reserved crumb mixture and remaining 1/2 C chocolate chips over top.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Sprinkle witn remaining 1/4 C toffee bits.
- Cool completely in pan on wire rack.
- Cut into bars.
These are very good bars. I actually made this recipe after seeing it in a magazine, but that version called for 2 1/2 cups of flour. That is what I used and they came out well.
I saw this basic recipe in Simple and Delicious. It called for 2-1/2 cups flour though. These were delicious and came out beautifully. The recipe called for chopped almonds which were good, but next time I think I'll use pecans. I had a bag of Heath toffee bits (Bits O' Brickle) and it was only 1-1/3 cups and it was plenty. Yummy recipe!
These are absolutely sinful. I orginally came across this recipe from Allrecipes. Everyone requested a copy the last gathering I attended. You will not be disappointed!