Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
With 3 egg yolks, butter and a generous amount of brown sugar, this is one of my favorite puddings, so why not SPLURGE!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 3⁄4 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Melt the butter in a 3-quart heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add the 1/4 cup evaporated milk and brown sugar, stirring constantly; cook 2 minutes.
- Bring to a boil and cook 30 seconds.
- Remove from heat.
- Heat the whole milk in a heavy saucepan over medium heat; cook until tiny bubbles form around the edge (do not boil. Remove from the heat.
- Combine 3/4 cup evaporated milk, cornstarch, salt, and egg yolks in a medium bowl; stir well with a whisk.
- Gradually add hot milk. Stir hot milk mixture into brown sugar mixture.
- Cook over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil ,stirring constantly; cook 1 minute.
- Remove from heat; stir in vanilla.
- Spoon 1/2 cup pudding into each of 6 (6-ounce) ramekins.
- Cover the pudding with plastic wrap; chill 3 hours.
The texture was slightly grainy, but that could have been my mistake. The reason for the 2 stars is that I was disappointed that this recipe did not taste like butterscotch. The flavor was all right... but it was more like a brown sugar pudding than a butterscotch pudding. Thanks anyway, out of here!
i was hungry for a sweet snack and looking for something quick. having just learned that 2/5 of the chocolate we eat comes from plantations that use slave labor (zoiks) i thought, 'uh...how about butterscotch??'. this recipe was quick, simple and absolutely delicious. everyone in my house is smacking their lips over it. this is one i will make again and again. i can't believe how yummy. there were a few other recipes on here that looked a wee bit simpler, but after making this i can tell you that it's really as easy as can be, super quick and worth way more than the time it takes to make it. look no further. this is it!
so simple....I made this for an after school snack for my kids and they loved it. I will make this again, thank you for posting....STephanie