Recipe by Mary Jenny
While the kids are home over the Easter break, bring out their creative side with a fun recipe that will keep them entertained in the kitchen. The recipe takes the much loved Rice Krispies square to the next level by transforming the squares into faces that can be decorated with candies and frosting. The result? A hilarious assortment of characters that your kids have created using their imagination. To make the decorating even more challenging, have them make a family portrait out of the faces or try to re–create their favourite movie or cartoon character or even the Easter Bunny – the possibilities are limitless and delicious to eat.
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 4 cups miniature marshmallows
- food coloring (optional)
- 6 cups kellogg's rice krispies cereal
- canned frosting or decorating gel
- assorted candy
Directions See How It's Made
- In large saucepan melt butter over low heat. Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat. To turn the mixture a fun colour, stir in a few drops of food colouring, if desired.
- Add Kellogg's Rice Krispies cereal. Stir until well coated.
- Using 1/2 cup (125 mL) measuring cup coated with cooking spray divide warm cereal mixture into portions. Using buttered hands shape each portion into a circular shape. Decorate with frosting and/or candies. Best if served the same day.
- Microwave Directions: In microwave–safe bowl heat butter and marshmallows on High for 3 minutes, stirring after 2 minutes. Stir until smooth. To tint a colour, stir in a few drops of food colouring, if desired. Follow steps 2 and 3 above. Microwave cooking times may vary.