Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
A tasty, light and fluffy low-fat treat.
- 1 lb rhubarb, cut into 1 1/2in chunks
- 4 ounces superfine sugar
- 1 orange, zest of, grated
- 1 tablespoon strawberry preserves
- 2 eggs, separated
- Preheat the oven to 350°F Put the rhubarb in an ovenproof dish, sprinkle over 2oz of the sugar and the orange zest and stir together.
- Cover and bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes until tender. (Alternatively, you can cook the rhubarb with the sugar and zest in the microwave for 10 minutes on full power, stirring halfway through the cooking time, until just tender.)
- Remove the rhubarb from the oven and allow to cool slightly. Stir in the preserves then the egg yolks. Divide the rhubarb mixture between four 6fl oz ramekins. Put on a baking sheet and cook in the oven for 10 minutes until lightly thickened.
- While the rhubarb is cooking, whisk the egg whites until stiff. Sprinkle over half of the remaining sugar and whisk again. Gently fold in the rest of the sugar.
- Pile the meringue on top of the rhubarb to cover it completely and swirl the top. Return to the oven for 10 minutes until the meringue is puffy and golden. Serve immediately.