Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
Make and share this Rhubarb and Custard Brûlée recipe from Food.com.
- Thinly slice rhubarb and place in a saucepan with half the sugar and water; cook gently for 10 minutes until the rhubarb is tender but still bright pink; cover and leave to cool.
- Use a fork to mix together the egg yolks, remaining sugar, cornstarch, and vanilla in a bowl.
- In another saucepan, add the milk; bring almost to a boil; gradually stir the milk into the yolk mixture, then strain back into the saucepan.
- Bring the milk back to an almost boil, then decrease the heat and cook very gently for 3-4 minutes, stirring continuously, until the custard thickly coats the back of the spoon.
- Pour the custard into a bowl, cover with a saucer and leave to cool.
- Arrange 6 ramekins or custard cups on a tray and fill with alternating spoonfuls of rhubarb and custard; chill in the refrigerator for 3-4 hours.
- About 25 minutes before serving, sprinkle the tops of the custards with the powdered sugar (no need to sift) and caramelize with a blowtorch.
- Leave at room temperature until serving.