Recipe by Molly Schneider
This is a far less expensive alternative to high-priced 'natural' skin tonics. It is easy to make, too, and is a nice treat for yourself.
Top Review by Charishma_Ramchandani
This is one of the "most refreshing scents" I've ever used. For the little that it costed me, this is VERY GOOD! I used orange essential oil and lemon essential oil as substitutes for clary sage and germanium essential oils since I did not have those on hand. Also, I did not have witch hazel, so I used Surgical Spirit as a substitute and it worked well. I have used it as a substitute for other similar recipes also and it works well. Orange essential oil goes very well with orange flower water which is what I observed. The scents blend very well and with lemon and rosemary it becomes very refreshing. What I enjoyed watching was this: When I added the orange flower water to the essnential oil and Surgical Spirit mixture, it turned a cloudy white and transported me back to the good old days when I enjoyed carrying out experiments in my Chemistry lab. I made a batch as a gift for my friends' to give away for the festival of Navratri which is from today for the next 9 days. I'm so glad I found this recipe at the right time(this is the gift giving season). Using this right out of the refrigerator is wonderful in the summer months(why didn't I see such a good recipe in these summers! I'm happy in that in the coming summers I'll be able to add this to my gift-giving bag). I also used this on my pulse points right after making it and I feel and smell like I just got out of the shower!;-)
- 1 (8 ounce) bottle witch hazel
- 4 ml clary sage essential oil
- 4 ml rosemary essential oil
- 4 ml geranium essential oil
- 8 ounces orange flower water (orange flower water is cheaper through ethnic food dealers or spice dealers than through aromatherap)
Directions See How It's Made
- Add oils to bottle of witch hazel and shake well.
- Fill a small pump-spray bottle (about 2 oz.) half-full of the witch hazel/oil mixture and fill up with orange flower water.
- Shake well and keep in refrigerator.
- This is a very refreshing facial spray on those hot days!