Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Center-Cut Beef Shanks braised in Merlot Wine, fine fresh herbs and serve over Egg Noodles.
Make and share this Red Wine Braised Center-Cut Beef Shanks recipe from Food.com.
- 4 beef shanks (Center Cut 8 oz. each)
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons fine sea salt
- 2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
- 2 cups brown onions (Chopped)
- 1 cup carrot (Chopped)
- 3 tablespoons garlic (Chopped)
- 2 cups merlot (Repertoire)
- 6 cups beef stock
- 3 cups roma tomatoes (Chopped)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 sprigs lemon thyme
- 2 sprigs fresh parsley
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 sprigs winter savory (Fresh)
- 4 juniper berries
- 4 black peppercorns
- 1 lb egg noodles
- In a braising pan heat 3-tablespoons olive oil, onions, carrots and saute until tender. Add garlic and saute for a minute.
- In a bowl add olive oil, sea salt, black pepper and wisk. Toss beef shanks one at a time in oil.
- Place 2 beef-shanks in braising pan and sear on both sides, remove from pan and set aside. Sear remaining beef shanks and place all beef- shanks into the pan.
- Add 1/2 cup Merlot wine and reduce wine by one-half.
- Add beef stock, tomatoes, tomato paste, bring to a full boil and reduce to simmer.
- Place fresh herbs, juniper berries, peppercorns in cheesecloth, tie with string and place in pan. Place a tight fitting lid over pan and braise 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until beef is tender.
- Remove beef-shanks and hold warm. Strain beef stock and cook egg noodles in beef stock until tender.
- Divide noodles into warm bowls and place 1 Center-Cut Beef Shank on top. Add beef broth and garnish with fresh chopped parsley.
- Chef's Note: Use a good quality Repertoire Wine2006 2006; Harmony Cellars, Paso Robles, Calif.
I had two beef shanks that I had to get out of the freezer and use so I found your recipe and I had all of the ingredients except the juniper berries. I cut the recipe in half and in place of the juniper berries I added some gin Ha! It was fantastic!Thanks so much for sharing this recipe, it has gone into my Favorites cookbook to do again.