1/1 Photo of Red Wine Braised Center-Cut Beef Shanks
2 hrs 15 mins
Chef #848413's Note:
Center-Cut Beef Shanks braised in Merlot Wine, fine fresh herbs and serve over Egg Noodles.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 beef shanks (Center Cut 8 oz. each)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons fine sea salt
- 2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
- 2 cups brown onions (Chopped)
- 1 cup carrot (Chopped)
- 3 tablespoons garlic (Chopped)
- 2 cups merlot (Repertoire)
- 6 cups beef stock
- 3 cups roma tomatoes (Chopped)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 sprigs lemon thyme
- 2 sprigs fresh parsley
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 sprigs winter savory (Fresh)
- 4 juniper berries
- 4 black peppercorns
- 1 lb egg noodles
- 1In a braising pan heat 3-tablespoons olive oil, onions, carrots and saute until tender. Add garlic and saute for a minute.
- 2In a bowl add olive oil, sea salt, black pepper and wisk. Toss beef shanks one at a time in oil.
- 3Place 2 beef-shanks in braising pan and sear on both sides, remove from pan and set aside. Sear remaining beef shanks and place all beef- shanks into the pan.
- 4Add 1/2 cup Merlot wine and reduce wine by one-half.
- 5Add beef stock, tomatoes, tomato paste, bring to a full boil and reduce to simmer.
- 6Place fresh herbs, juniper berries, peppercorns in cheesecloth, tie with string and place in pan. Place a tight fitting lid over pan and braise 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until beef is tender.
- 7Remove beef-shanks and hold warm. Strain beef stock and cook egg noodles in beef stock until tender.
- 8Divide noodles into warm bowls and place 1 Center-Cut Beef Shank on top. Add beef broth and garnish with fresh chopped parsley.
- 9Chef's Note: Use a good quality Repertoire Wine2006 2006; Harmony Cellars, Paso Robles, Calif.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Red Wine Braised Center-Cut Beef Shanks
Serving Size: 1 (871 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 768.7
- Calories from Fat 179
- Total Fat 19.9 g
- Saturated Fat 3.7 g
- Cholesterol 95.7 mg
- Sodium 2627.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 104.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.4 g
- Sugars 12.3 g
- Protein 23.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: