Recipe by That is Dr House to you
From Vegetarian Times. I fell in love with the picture. As much as I hate working with beets it made me go buy some. I used Feta in place of the blue cheese
- 10 baby beets, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 5 tablespoons toasted walnut oil, divided
- 2 cups cubed whole grain bread
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup shallot, chopped
- 8 cups mixed salad greens, see note
- 3 ounces blue cheese, crumbled
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Note: Lettuces: lolla rossa, red butter lettuce, red belgin endive and [or] radicchio leaves. The more variety? The better the taste.
- Preheat oven to 375F Arrange beets in center of sheet of foil. Drizzle with oil and enclose in foil. Roast one hour or until beets are tender then cool, peel and quarter.
- Heat 2 tbsp walnut oil in skillet over med heat. Add bread, and saute 4 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer to plate to cool.
- Combine remaining 3 tbsp walnuts, oil, vinegar and shallots in small bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Toss beets with half of the dressing in small bowl. Toss greens with remaining dressing in large bowl. Sprinkle salad with croutons and blue cheese. Mound beets in center of greens Sprinkle with walnuts. Serve.