Very easy and tasty basic recipe. I used two cans of tomatoes, minced garlic (in a jar) turkey sausage and low fat ricotta cheese to lighten and simplify the dish. You can use one can of tomatoes, but I like my sauce to have an abundance of tomatoes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, use 1 T at a time
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced or 1 teaspoon large minced garlic, from the jar
- 2 (28 ounce) cans tomatoes (whole or diced)
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 lb Italian turkey sausage, casings removed (sweet or hot)
- 16 ounces orecchiette (or linguine) or 16 ounces other small shell pasta (or linguine)
- 1 cup crumbled low-fat ricotta cheese
- 1Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- 2Add the garlic and cook until golden, but not browned, about 1 minute.
- 3Add the tomatoes and their juices, red pepper oregano, salt and sugar.
- 4Add other spices to taste.
- 5Bring to a boil.
- 6Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer(crushing to tomatoes with the back of a wooden spoon if using whole tomatoes) until the sauce thickens slightly, about 20 minutes, then remove from heat.
- 7While the sauce simmers, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook 1 pound of sausage until no trace of pink remains.
- 8Add the sausage to the sauce.
- 9Cook the pasta according to the package directions.
- 10Drain and divide among individual plates. Spoon the sauce over the top.
- 11Top each sauce with 1/4 cup ricotta.
Browse Our Top Poultry Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Poultry Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Real Simple's Marinara Sauce With Sausage and Ricotta
Serving Size: 1 (701 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 743.9
- Calories from Fat 173
- Total Fat 19.2 g
- Saturated Fat 5.3 g
- Cholesterol 60.1 mg
- Sodium 1661.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 108.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.7 g
- Sugars 17.2 g
- Protein 35.7 g