Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Very easy and tasty basic recipe. I used two cans of tomatoes, minced garlic (in a jar) turkey sausage and low fat ricotta cheese to lighten and simplify the dish. You can use one can of tomatoes, but I like my sauce to have an abundance of tomatoes.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, use 1 T at a time
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced or 1 teaspoon large minced garlic, from the jar
- 2 (28 ounce) cans tomatoes (whole or diced)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 lb Italian turkey sausage, casings removed (sweet or hot)
- 16 ounces orecchiette (or linguine) or 16 ounces other small shell pasta (or linguine)
- 1 cup crumbled low-fat ricotta cheese
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the garlic and cook until golden, but not browned, about 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes and their juices, red pepper oregano, salt and sugar.
- Add other spices to taste.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer(crushing to tomatoes with the back of a wooden spoon if using whole tomatoes) until the sauce thickens slightly, about 20 minutes, then remove from heat.
- While the sauce simmers, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook 1 pound of sausage until no trace of pink remains.
- Add the sausage to the sauce.
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions.
- Drain and divide among individual plates. Spoon the sauce over the top.
- Top each sauce with 1/4 cup ricotta.