Recipe by Snowbunny Andorra
Another of my new recipes. Always wondered what to do with those long odd-looking creatures on the fish counter, and now I know. Very simple and very tasty as a starter or tapa. The first time I cooked this, I used quite small clams (about 10mm wide) and it was fabulous. The second time, I could only get larger clams (about 20mm wide) and I found these a bit gritty - maybe I didn't soak them for long enough before cooking? I'd go for the smaller ones every time now!
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat a griddle until very hot.
- Add a little olive oil and a single layer of clams, hinge-side down.
- Once the clams have opened fully, turn them over so the meat is in contact with the griddle. (I find that some of the clams will fall out of the shells, so I remove the shells to the serving plate, giving me more room on the griddle).
- Heat for 1 minute, until lightly browned.
- Arrange on a warmed serving plate, drizzle on a little more oil and any juices remaining on the griddle.
- Repeat for any remaining clams.
- Serve with lemon wedges if desired.