This recipe is an adaptation from a couple of recipes in Bawarchi.com. I have added a couple of ingredients and removed a couple and the end result is, as you will see, quite satisfying.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 250 ml semolina (rava)
- 250 ml yoghurt
- 1 -2 teaspoon Urad Dal
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon jeera powder
- 1/4 teaspoon hing (Asafoetida)
- 1 stalk curry leaf, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped ginger
- 2 green chilies, finely chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, to taste
- water, as necessary to thin the batter
- 1 -2 teaspoon oil or 1 -2 teaspoon ghee
- 1 tablespoon eno fruit salt
- 1In a heavy bottom pan, heat the oil and add mustard seeds.
- 2When it starts to splutter, add jeera.
- 3After a few seconds, add urad dal and stir it till it becomes light brown.
- 4Add hing and immediately add the rava and saute it till it becomes light brown and loses it raw smell.
- 5Let this cool.
- 6Beat yoghurt in a mixing bowl and add salt, chilies, curry leaves and ginger.
- 7Add the cooled rava mixture to this and add water as necessary so that the batter is of idli batter consistency.
- 8When ready to make idlis, mix the eno fruit salt with the mixture and immediately pour into the the greased idli stand.
- 9Pressure cook for 7-8 minutes without the weight.
- 10Soft, delicious idlis are ready to eat with coconut chutney, madras powder, sambar or even yoghurt!
- 11Note: If keeping the idli mixture for a while, it will get thicker as the rava soaks up the water, so you may have to water it down a little bit before pouring.
- 12You can add shredded carrots, zucchini, cashew pieces etc to the idli mix to make it even more interesting.
- 13This took me about 1 hour from scratch but if you want to reduce the time, you can fry the rava beforehand.
- 14Makes around 20 idlis.
Nutritional Facts for Rava Idli
Serving Size: 1 (176 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 288.2
- Calories from Fat 46
- Total Fat 5.2 g
- Saturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 11.0 mg
- Sodium 624.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 5.5 g
- Protein 11.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: