1/1 Photo of Raspberry Mousse Cake
2 hrs 30 mins
1 hr 30 mins
This elegant cake tastes as amazing as it looks. It is simply heaven on a plate. I agree that it is time consuming but it is well worth the effort for formal occasions. It comes from Australian Gourmet Traveller Magazine
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 250 g white chocolate, melted (to decorate cake)
- 150 g raspberries, to decorate (if out of season other fruit or more puree)
RASPBERRY JELLY PALETTE
- 8 g leaves gelatin
- 150 g sugar
- 350 g sweetened sieved raspberry puree (you need about 550grms raspberries)
- 1Firstly, this is not as difficult as it looks . I have included many directions, but don't let that put you off. They are to ensure that the recipe is clear & easy to follow.
- 2Raspberry jelly palette needs to be made a day in advance.
- 3Use 25cm (must be springform) tin.
- 4For the palette soak gelatine in cold water for about 5 minutes, then squeeze out excess water. In small saucepan, bring raspberry puree to simmer. Remove from heat, add gelatine & stir to dissolve. Cool to room temperature, pour into a plastic-wrap lined 25cm cake tin, refrigerate to set. Freeze set jelly palette until frozen.
- 5For sponge, using electric mixer, beat egg whites until soft peaks form, then gradually add 50 grms sugar & continue to beat until soft peaks form. Decrease speed to medium, add yolks & beat until just combined, then fold through flour. Spoon into greased & lined cake tin (as used for jelly palette). Smooth out top or it will be uneven. Bake for 20-25 min at 175°C Coolon wire rack. Make two of these.
- 6Make sugar syrup by combining 60 grms sugar & 100 mls of water. Stir over heat until sugar dissolves, then cool. Set aside.
- 7To make Italian meringue, place sugar & just enough water to cover it in small saucepan. Boil on medium heat to dissolve sugar then boil until sugar syrup registers soft ball stage, (121C) on candy thermometer.
- 8While sugar is cooking, using electric mixer beat egg whites until soft peaks form, then greadually add extra sugar. To this, in a very thin stream, add the hot syrup. Continue to beat until mixtue is thick & cool.
- 9To make raspberry mousse, soak gelatine leaves in cold water. Squeeze out excess water. Combine gelatine & a 1/4 of puree in small saucepan & dissolve gelatine.
- 10Then transfer to a large bowl, add the remaining puree. Fold in Italian meringue, then carefully fold in the whipped cream.
- 11Reline cake tin with parchment coming up well above the sides. Place one sponge on base, brush with half the syrup, then pour in half of the raspberry mousse. Place second sponge on top & brush with remaining syrup. Then pour a very thin layer of mousse over sponge. Remove plastic from jelly palette & place over mousse, press down slightly. Pour remaining mousse over top of jelly palette.Spread mousse evely over top. Some will pour down the side of cake which will help when you come to decorate the cake. Refrigerate 6 hrs or overnight.
- 12Thinly spread melted white chocolate over baking paper. Allow to set slightly. While chocolate is still a little soft, cut planks about 5cm wide & high enough to go over the top of cake. Allow chocolate to set. Make enough planks to go right aroung sides of cake & a few spare in case of an accident.
- 13Gently remove ring from cake & peel off paper. Place cake on serving plate. Press chocolate planks, slightly overlapping around sides of cake. Then fill cake with raspberries. Then watch everyones face when you bring it out.
- 14Cake can be made days ahead & keeps very well. If raspberries are not in season use frozen. To decorate top of cake a little more sweetened puree can be made & spread on top insted of the fresh raspberries.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Raspberry Mousse Cake
Serving Size: 1 (110 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 325.7
- Calories from Fat 125
- Total Fat 13.9 g
- Saturated Fat 8.2 g
- Cholesterol 70.1 mg
- Sodium 49.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 39.2 g
- Protein 5.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: