Recipe by KittyKitty
A rich, hazlenut meringue sandwiched with whipped cream and raspberries makes a really irresistible dessert.
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup superfine sugar
- 3 drops vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon distilled malt vinegar
- 1 cup roasted and chopped hazelnuts, ground
- 1 1⁄4 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups raspberries
- confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- mint sprig (to garnish)
For the sauce
- 1 1⁄3 cups raspberries
- 3 -4 tablespoons confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 1 tablespoon orange liqueur
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F Grease two 8 inch pans and line the bottoms with waxed paper.
- Whisk the egg whites in a large bowl until they hold stiff peaks, then gradually whisk in the superfine sugar one tablespoon at a time, whisking after each addition.
- Continue whisking the meringue for 1-2 minutes, until very stiff, then fold in the vanilla extract, vinegar and ground hazelnuts.
- Divide the meringue mixture between the prepared cake pans and spread level. Bake for 50-60 minutes, until crisp. Remove the meringues from the pans and let them cool on wire racks.
- While the meringues are cooling, make the sauce. Process the raspberries with the confectioner's sugar and orange liqueur in a blender or food processor, then press the puree through a fine sieve to remove any seeds. Chill the sauce until ready to serve.
- Whip the cream until it forms soft peaks, then gently fold in the raspberries. Sandwich the meringue rounds together with the raspberry cream.
- Dust the top of the gateau with confectioner's sugar. Decorate with mint sprigs and serve with the raspberry sauce.