Recipe by The Spice Guru
My recipe for a layer cake.
Top Review by Nikoma
Ok so I decided to try this for my Fiance's birthday cake. Took a gamble on something a little different. First thing - duncan hines cakes come in 18 oz boxes, not 10. There are no baking instructions for 3 pans either, so I ended up cutting both my 8 inch cakes in half to fill with the preserves. (which was easy with this cake mix, and I'm HORRIBLE at cutting cakes that way).Everything was going great, but then my frosting failed. I make whipped cream frosting all the time. Everything was going well. I added the melted chocolate mixture, it got thick and formed stiff peaks...then just fell to watery mush. So I put it on top but couldn't do the sides....The tastes all work SO well together, and I think the frosting was my fault. I can not stress this enough DO NOT OVER BEAT THE FROSTING!! As soon as it gets stiff - STOP or it will do what mine did. It only takes a minute or two. Don't keep beating thinking it will keep getting thicker! This gets even better after being in the fridge for a few days. I thought all the preserves would make it mushy but not at all. It's like a 4 layer (in my case) jelly roll. Very yummy! P.S. if you screw up the frosting - plain whipped cream works great.
- 18 1⁄4 ounces cake mix (Duncan Hines Moist Deluxe Classic White cake mix)
- 3 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 1⁄3 cups water
- 1 cup seedless red raspberry jam, divided
WHITE CHOCOLATE FROSTING
- 1 pint whipping cream
- 1 (11 ounce) bagghirardelli classic white chocolate chips
- 4 ounces chopped macadamia nuts
- 4 ounces fresh raspberries
Directions See How It's Made
- WHITE CAKE: Prepare three cake layers in three pans using one (18.25 oz box) Duncan Hines Classic White Cake mix, followiing package directions (1 1/3 cups water, 3 egg whites and 2 tablespoons canola oil); PLACE on racks; COOL completely.
- RASPBERRY FILLING: Invert one cake layer on cake plate (flat-surface up); SPREAD top only with 1/3 cup seedless red raspberry jam, spreading to 1/4 inch of the cake edge; PLACE second cake layer, flat-side up over first layer; SPREAD top with 1/3 cup raspberry jam; PLACE third cake layer over second, rounded-side up; SPREAD top with remaining 1/3 cup raspberry jam.
- WHITE CHOCOLATE FROSTING: Melt 11 oz white chocolate chips in double boiler at medium temperature with 1 cup whipping cream; COOL. In a small mixing bowl beat remaining one cup whipping cream with an electric mixer on low speed until soft peaks form tips curl); ADD white chocolate chip mixture; CONTINUE beating on low speed until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight).; FROST outside of cake, decorating in swirls.
- GARNISH: Chop 1/2 cup macadamia nuts; SPRINKLE evenly over cake; DECORATE top of cake with fresh raspberries.