Recipe by fishywitch
I saw this on the Today Show. I made them one night and now my family asks for them at least once a week. They may seem labor intensive but they are most certainly worth the effort. You can serve them with spaghetti or on their own. Hope you enjoy them as much as we do!
Top Review by f6strings_6836489
This is NOT the correct recipe for Rao's Meatballs. The quantity of beef, cheese, parsley, garlic and water are wrong. Look up and find the REAL recipe for Rao's Meatballs, and make them immediately. Follow the CORRECT recipe, and they will come out fantastically.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb ground veal
- 1⁄2 lb ground pork
- 4 large garlic cloves (3 minced and 1 reserved for frying)
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 cups pecorino romano cheese, grated
- 1 cup plain breadcrumbs
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups cooking oil or 2 cups olive oil, for frying
- tomato sauce, of your choosing. (But really good in a tomato-basil sauce.)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, place the meat and rub the minced garlic into it.
- Press the meat in the bowl.
- Add in this order: Salt, pepper, parsley, 2 eggs and water. Then sprinkle the cheese over the top as if you are going to cover the water. Finally, sprinkle the breadcrumbs over the cheese.
- Mix from the outside of the bowl to the middle, folding it inches Do not overmix!
- After the ingredients are mixed, start to roll the meatballs in your hands, about 6 ounces per meatball.
- After your meatballs are rolled, take a 10 inch frying pan and add your oil and the reserved whole clove of garlic and heat. When the clove starts to brown, the oil is ready.
- Fry the meatballs, cooking and flipping until golden brown, about 4 1/2 to 5 minutes per side.
- Remove the meatballs after frying and put on a paper towel lined plate to absorb excess oil.
- (If you want you can bake the meatballs on a lightly greased tray at 350 degrees-the taste is totally different than frying).
- Add the meatballs to your tomato sauce to finish cooking.
- Let simmer for at least 45-60 minutes.
- Serve with the sauce.