Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
I have had different variations of chips made from assorted root vegetables. I have loved them all.They are tasty and delicious, but they are also so pretty. This is the way that I make and season them at home for my family .
- 2 carrots (the "fattest" you can find)
- 2 medium raw beets
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 1 medium russet potato
- 32 ounces cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- In a small bowl, mix together the sea salt, chili powder and lime zest well,then set aside.
- *Rubbing your hands with cooking oil helps to keep the beets from staining your skin.
- Peel all of the root vegetables.
- Using a Madoline, or a Food Processor with a thin slicing disc, cut all the vegetables longways into very thin slices(you want them almost paper-thin).
- * If you do not have a Food Processor, or a Mandoline, you can use a vegetable peeler to achieve the thin slices needed.
- Pat the slices dry with paper towels.
- Heat oil in a large,deep pot, to 350 degrees.
- Deep-fry the vegetable slices in smallish batches for about 2-3 minutes per batch.
- Drain each batch on paper towels.
- Sprinkle the batches with a pinch of the chili-lime salt as soon as they come out of the oil.
- Keep them in a warm oven until all are done and you're ready to serve them.