Recipe by ellie_
I thought this sounded interesting and an alternative for bread. Recipe source: Martha Stewart Living (December 2005)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 3⁄4 cup warm water
- 1 pinch sugar
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- kosher salt (or other coarse salt)
- pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 heads radicchio, quartered lengthwise (10 ounces total)
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl combine yeast, water and sugar. Let stand until foamy (5 minutes).
- Stir in flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt and oil until combined.
- Turn dough out onto floured board and knead until smooth (2-5 minutes). Transfer dough to oiled bowl, turn to cover all sides and cover with plastic wrap. Let stand for 20-30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Divide dough into quarters.
- On a floured board roll out each piece to a rectangle 8 inches x 5 inches. Transfer to prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough. (there will be 4 rectangles). Divide rdicchio among dough and press into dough. Drizzle with oil, salt and pepper.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden and crisp.
- Whisk ricotta cheese in a small bowl until lightened.
- Drizzle baked bread with oil, season with salt and pepper.
- Serve flatbread with whipped ricotta.