Recipe by mollypaul
A neat twist on twice-baked potatoes. This also works with rutabagas (swedes). From the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947. Cooking time approximate.
- 6 large baking potatoes
- 2 cups turnips, peeled
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- pimiento (optional) or parsley, for garnish (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400F and wash the potatoes very well.
- Bake until fork-tender.
- While the potatoes are cooking, cook the turnips and mash; heat milk.
- Remove potatoes from oven; cut in half lengthwise and scoop out inside.
- Add remaining ingredients and whip until light and fluffy.
- Pile lightly into shells; return to oven for five minutes to brown lightly.
- Garnish and serve.