Recipe by Katzen
From Rebar Cookbook, this sweet, spicy, and cool salad is a summer treat!
Top Review by averybird
I made this salad for a vegan potluck and got compliments at the party. It's very fresh-tasting and goes perfectly with burritos or enchiladas as a side dish. I think the key is to get the right balance of lemon-lime juice and hot sauce in the topping. The hot sauce takes it from bland into Tex-Mex territory and is essential IMO, but add it slowly as a little goes a long way. I added a little olive oil to the dressing as well. Thanks for sharing, Katzen! Made for Zaar Cookbook Tag.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 cups corn (fresh or frozen)
- 1 red onion, small, minced
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
- 1⁄2 red pepper, diced
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 3 scallions or 3 green onions, minced
- 2 tablespoons chives, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce (or to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place quinoa in a fine mesh sieve and rinse thouroughly with cold, running water. Bring water to boil in a small pot, add the quinoa and salt, and bring to a boil again. Cover and reduce heat to low for 15 minutes. Turn off the heat and keep the pot covered for an additional 5 minutes. Strain off any excess liquid and spread the quinoa out to cool on a tray while preparing the remaining ingredients.
- Steam or lightly saute corn until just tender and cool to room temparature. Combine all of the ingredients in a large bowl and gently toss. Season with additional salt, pepper, or hot sauce to taste. Serve with fresh lime wedges.