Recipe by Honeybeee
Found this recipe in a very old Australian Cook Book. Thought I'd share it with all.....
Top Review by Joseph Borges
This didn't work for me, there isn't enough information in this recipe to have an easy success. If you try it be sure to do something different than what I did. Mine was very doughy and wet everywhere inside after 50 mins baking. The taste around the very edge left me wanting more but I couldn't eat it. I think it would have burned badly before it cooked all the way through. It was a mess. I used small red potatoes (because I had them) I boiled them, drained them and left the peals on when I mashed them. This may have been my problem, I may try again with large brown potatoes. I also used white whole wheat flour, 2% milk and canola oil if that helps. Try something different than what I did if you try this recipe, I had to toss mine out :( I tried to save it by slicing it and then baking the slices but they still started to burn before the insides cooked. Any ideas?
- 1⁄2 lb cooked potato, mashed
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 8 fluid ounces milk
- 1⁄2 lb all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 ounces cheddar cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to'Hot' (425 degrees F).
- Grease a 1 lb loaf tin.
- Mix mashed potatoes, oil and milk together.
- Sift in the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Mix together to form a sticky dough.
- Place in a loaf tin and level the top.
- Mark into 6 sections with a sharp knife.
- Sprinkle cheese on top and bake on the top shelf of the oven for 35-40 min, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out cleanly.
- Remove from tin and serve warm or toasted.