Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a quick recipe that uses items you might already have in the house-- always a plus. Use whatever shredded cheese you like -- it is good with a "Mexican blend" or just about anything.
- 1 (16 ounce) can vegetarian refried beans
- 1 (10 ounce) can Rotel tomatoes & chilies, drained (use the "original" crushed variety)
- 6 whole wheat flour tortillas
- 3 cups shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- In a medium bowl, combine the refried beans and the Rotel, and stir well.
- Over low heat, place a tortilla in a large pan. Cover half of it with shredded cheese. Add 1/6 of the bean mixture, and top with more cheese.
- Fold the other half of the tortilla over the top.
- When the cheese on the bottom is melted, carefully flip over. Use 2 spatulas to help you do this without spilling.
- When the second side is melted and the insides are warm, serve immediately, or place in a 200 degree oven to keep warm until the rest of the quesadillas are ready.
- Serve with your favorite salsa, and if desired sour cream. Enjoy!
This is a really good recipe with a little modification. My changes: used nutritional yeast in place of the cheddar cheese, and added: minced onion, minced garlic, black pepper, red pepper flakes, and cayenne pepper. Thank you for this recipe, it's something that comes together really quickly and is satisfying.
I loved the idea of putting beans in quesadillas. These tasted excellent and were definitely very quick and easy. I was going to take a picture, but the leftovers disappeared far too quickly. Thanks for the recipe. Made for PAC spring '08.