Prep 3 mins
Cook 1 min
This glaze is perfect for those times when you just can't be bothered with frosting cookies. It's also perfect for pastries! I use this glaze on my Monkey Bread, sugar cookies, ricotta cookies, and even brownies. It's versatile and, above all, easy. If you see a recipe posted by me, it will almost always contain the word "Quick" or "Easy"... this one is both! This easy glaze recipe has been handed down from the greatest cook of all time... my mom!
- 2 tablespoons butter (no substitutions)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- 1 teaspoon hot water
- 1 cup powdered sugar (confectioners sugar)
- 2 -3 drops food coloring, of your choice (optional)
- In a 1 cup Pyrex measuring cup, melt 2 Tablespoons butter in the microwave on high for about 1 minute or until butter is completely melted.
- Add the 1 Tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon of hot water, 1 teaspoon vanilla, food color and powdered sugar (yes -- it does all fit in a 1 cup Pyrex measuring cup).
- Stir until smooth.
- Drizzle glaze over cookies/pastries/whatever. I have used a pattern of just hash marks, glazing many cookies at once, and have also used a swirly pattern.
- Note: you can substitute any other extract flavor for the vanilla. I have made this many times with almond extract, lemon extract, orange extract, etc. I usually use food color that blends with the season -- pink, green, blue for Spring, red and green for Christmas, etc.