Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This takes no time to prepare, I have tryed this using different flavor soups, I find that cream of chicken and celery are the best, or use 2 cans cream of chicken, I also like to add the garlic powder and also a pinch of cayenne pepper to the soup mixture :)
- 1 cup water
- 1 (16 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 (16 ounce) can condensed cream of celery soup, undiluted
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 3 tablespoons red wine
- 3⁄4 cup long-grain rice, uncooked
- 2 lbs chicken breasts or 2 lbs chicken pieces
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package Lipton Onion Soup Mix
- Set oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a medium-size casserole dish.
- Mix the first 6 ingredients in a bowl.
- Add the uncooked rice to the soup mixture; mix until combined.
- Transfer the soup/rice mixture to the casserole then spread out in the dish.
- Place the chicken on top of the mixture.
- Sprinkle with the dry onion soup.
- Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour 30 minutes or until rice is cooked and the chicken is done.
- Allow to stand for 10 mins before serving.
This has become my new go-to recipe on nights when I have to go out and DH will be home alone - its excellent!! So easy to make and flavorful, I can throw it together and bake it in the afternoon, then it reheats beautifully when he gets home, then again when I get home. I make a few modifications, and bake in an 8" square pan. I dice approx. 1 lb of chicken breast and pre-cook it, add a can of mushrooms (undrained) and a T or two of water, use marsala wine and jasmine rice, omit the onion soup mix and top with grated cheese. It typically bakes for around 45 min. and is absolutely delicious!
The soup mix came on a little strong so maybe cutting it back a bit next time but overall it was quick, easy, and fed four of us rather well.
I tired this recipe last week and it was great! I left out the wine and onion soup mix and it was still delicious! I added some finely diced sauteed onions though. My 8 year old step-daughter who claims to hate rice cleaned her plate and asked for more! I will defiantly be making this again! Thanks for the recipe!!!