Recipe by Gingerbee
If you've ever visited this wonderful little city in North America, you have seen this listed as an appetizer on the menu. Served on a bed of lettuce perhaps with a sweet fruit ketchup, this lovely creamy, crunchy traditional food of Quebec is a snap to make and will be one you'll serve over and over again.
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄3 cups milk
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 4 eggs (separated)
- 1 cup parmesan cheese (grated)
- 1 cup gruyere cheese (grated)
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- cooking oil
Directions See How It's Made
- In a sauce pan on the stovetop, melt butter and Add flour and milk stirring until creamy over medium heat.
- Add egg yolks, one at a time.
- Stir well.
- Remove from burner.
- Add cheese and seasonings.
- Spread mixture into a 9" x 9" well-greased pan.
- Freeze until stiff enough to cut into squares.
- When ready to serve: Beat egg whites; dip squares in egg and then in breadcrumbs and deep fry until golden.