Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
There are quite a number of stir-fried asparagus recipes on the site already, but none of them in the simple Chinese 'qing chao' style.
- 500 g asparagus
- 1 green onion
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch (or as needed)
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil (to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon msg (optional)
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil (to taste)
- Clean asparagus, cut into 2-in segments, blanch briefly, and drain.
- Mince green onion. Combine corn starch with 2/3 c water.
- Heat wok over highest heat. Add oil and swirl to heat. Add green onion and toss one moment until fragrant but not burned. Add asparagus. Add a little water and stir-fry briefly.
- Season with salt and MSG. Add corn starch mixture and heat to thicken. Turn off heat and drizzle with sesame oil. Transfer to serving dish. Serve as part of a Chinese meal: rice, soup, and a balanced variety of dishes--one per person.