Prep 4 mins
Cook 7 mins
French Pastry Chef Pierre Herme's version out of Vogue Magazine, December 2012.
- 2 1⁄4 cups whole milk
- 1⁄4 cup mineral water
- 1⁄4 cup superfine sugar
- 3 1⁄2 ounces about 3/4 cup chopped dark bittersweet chocolate
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa powder, loosely packed
- In a 2- to 3 quart saucepan, stir the milk, water and sugar together.
- Add a little more sugar.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Whisk in the chocolate and cocoa powder.
- Keep whisking over the heat until the solids have dissolved and then thickened.
- Reduce the heat to very low.
- Using an immersion blender whirl at high speed for 1/2 a minute or more, until the hot chocolate is thick and foamy. (You may want to tilt the immersion blender to incorporate more air, taking care not to get ho t chocolate all over everything.) Alternatively you may use a standard blender.
- Divide among four 6 oz cups.