Recipe by Kozmic Blues
Deliciously AMAZING vegan gravy from Vegan with a Vengeance. Perfect for smothering mashed potatoes. I made this for our Mother's Day meal, and I fell in LOVE with it. They mention in the cookbook that you will be tempted to make this once a week, and I think they are right. There were no vegetarians present at dinner, much less any vegans, but the gravy was well received by everyone! I didn't have mustard seeds the first time I made this, so I used 1 tsp ground yellow mustard and it worked just fine.
Top Review by cUte Kitty pUnk
i love Love LOVE this gravy. I make it on a regular basis. Several times I've had friends for dinner when we had this gravy and they always look at it a little funny, but once they taste it - they are loading it up on their potatoes! It's so yummy and so full of flavor!
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, quartered and sliced thin
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 pinches ground cumin
- 2 pinches paprika
- 1 pinch dried rosemary
- 1 pinch dried thyme
- 1 pinch dried oregano
- 1 pinch dried coriander
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1⁄4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1⁄2 cup water, if needed
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix the flour with 2 cups of water until the flour is mostly dissolved.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the olive oil, onions and mustard seeds; cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until the onions are browned and the mustard seeds are toasted.
- Add the garlic and saute for 2 minutes more.
- Add the chickpeas; use a potato masher to mash them (they don't have to be mashed into a paste, just make sure each one is broken up slightly; a few whole ones left are ok.
- Add the herbs and spices, soy sauce, and lemon juice.
- Scrape the bottom of the pan to loosen any browned bits of onion.
- Lower heat and pour the flour mixture into the pan.
- Stir constantly until a thick gravy forms.
- Stir in the nutritional yeast.
- If it looks too thick and pasty, add a little of the extra water and mix well. Keep warm until ready to serve.