Healthy Cooking c/o Oprah and Dr. Oz These muffins are delicious, easy to make and great for you. Enjoy them hot out of the oven and keep extra for lunchtime snacks for the kids (or you) during the week. Pumpkin is loaded with an important antioxidant, beta-carotene. Beta-carotene is one of the plant carotenoids converted to vitamin A in the body. In the conversion to vitamin A, beta carotene performs many important functions in overall health. Current studies link diets rich in foods with beta-carotene to reducing the risk of certain types of cancer and protection against heart disease. Chia seeds can be found at some health food stores.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds, ground (use a coffee or spice grinder)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour or 1 cup whole grain wheat flour
- 1/2 cup unbleached white flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (16 ounce) can organic pumpkin puree (make sure there is only pumpkin listed on the ingredient list)
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup high-quality extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional) or 1/2 cup pecans (optional)
- salt and pepper
- 1Can substitute 1 cup Maple Syrup with 1/2 cup agave nectar.
- 2Pre-heat oven to 350°.
- 3Mix dry ingredients together in a bowl. In a separate bowl, mix all wet ingredients.
- 4Fold the wet ingredients (fold in nuts now if you are using them) into the dry ingredients and spoon into paper-lined muffin or greased muffin tins. Bake for 25–30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of a muffin comes out clean. Store completely cooled muffins in sealable plastic bags in the freezer.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pumpkin-Chia Seed Muffins adapted from Mom-A-Licious by Do
Serving Size: 1 (1197 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 189.4
- Calories from Fat 51
- Total Fat 5.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 35.2 mg
- Sodium 322.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 16.7 g
- Protein 3.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: