Recipe by SkinnyMinnie
This is one gooooood sandwich!! Because the class I received this recipe in was named "Breads from the Grill", this recipe is written to be prepared on a "grill". If you have a panini press or grill pan, you can use them also. You will need a "weight" if making this on a grill or grill pan, such as a cast iron skillet or a foil wrapped fire brick.
Top Review by iris5555
I used less oil and vinegar (using 2 teaspoons of oil and 1 teaspoon of balsamic. I guessed at the amount of cheese and next time will use more as it tastes so good. What's not to like about fontina and prosciutto?
- 1 loaf rustic bread (1 lb.)
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 5 ounces Fontina cheese, thinly sliced
- 6 ounces prosciutto
- 1⁄2 lb tomatoes, thinly sliced
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat grill to LOW.
- Whisk together the balsamic vinegar and olive oil in a small bowl.
- Using a serrated knife, carefully trim the top and bottom crusts off of the loaf of bread. You just want to create a flat surface exposing the "white" or inside of the bread, leaving as MUCH bread as possible for the sandwich.
- Cut the loaf horizontally into two 1/2 inch thick slices.
- Lightly brush the inside of each slice with the balsamic mixture.
- Place a single layer of cheese on the bottom half.
- Then add a layer of prosciutto, then tomatoes.
- Lightly salt and pepper to taste.
- Finish with another layer of sliced cheese and top with other half of bread, brushed half to the inside.
- Brush sandwich on both sides with olive oil.
- Oil the grill grates lightly with oil.
- Place the sandwich on the grill and place a weight on top. The weight presses the sandwich making deep grill marks.
- Close the lid and gill panini for about 3 min, until nice and golden brown with nice grill marks.
- Using a spatula, flip the panini over, place the weight back on top and grill for another 3 min or until the cheese has melted and itis a nice golden brown.
- Cut into triangles or rectangles, the size of 3 good bites and serve hot.