Prep 30 mins
Cook 72 hrs
This method is simple and so good and less expensive than purchasing store bought Pimiento. This process is of Portugese style.
- Purchase ripened red, firm peppers.
- Wash, cut in half, remove seeds and membranes and discard.
- In a large cooking pot, add about 14 cups of water and bring to boil.
- Add prepared peppers and return to boil.
- Reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook for about 3 minutes.
- Drain well through a colander, return to cooking pot, cover and leave overnight.
- The next day, process peppers in a food processor until well chopped and return to cooking pot.
- Add salt and mix well.
- Cover and let mixture ferment for another day, leave on kitchen counter or stove.
- On the third day, stir well, fill plastic containers with mixture to within 1/2" of the top.
- Place plastic lid, using a black felt pen, note date and what the contents are.
- Place containers in freezer compartment.
- Use as required for your recipes.
- This recipe can be doubled.
very good - enjoyed doing it