Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
Pretzel Rolls. They're good, worth the work.
Make and share this Pretzel Rolls recipe from Food.com.
- 6 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk, slightly warmed
- 1 cup water, slightly warmed
- 7 cups water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 4 tablespoons baking soda
- In a small container, mix yeast with warmed milk and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Whisk 5 3/4 cups of flour and teaspoon of salt in a large bowl.
- Add canola oil and warmed water to yeast mixture.
- Pour into bowl with flour and salt.
- Knead in the bowl until dough is mostly smooth. Only add more flour if your dough cannot be easily handled. The dough will be somewhat stiff.
- Cover the bowl with a dish towel and put in a warm place to rise for one hour.
- Punch down dough and knead in bowl for one minute.
- Cut dough into 15 pieces. (Cut more pieces if you would like smaller size rolls.) Form balls by pulling the dough under.
- Place on a well-greased surface.
- Let the dough balls rise for 15 minutes.
- While the dough balls are rising, preheat the oven to 400 degrees and get the pretzel "bath" ready.
- In a large pot, bring water, salt, and baking soda to a rolling boil.
- Plunge three dough balls into the water and let them "poach" for 1 minute total.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer them to a well-greased baking sheet.
- With a serrated knife, cut 2-3 lines across each roll and sprinkle with coarse sea salt.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until pretzels are a rich brown.
I made these as written, although it was so humid out that I had to add quite a bit of flour. They turned out so beautifully! Wonderful recipe!
Made as written. They turned out beautifully.