1/6 Photos of Pretty Little Lavender Fairy Cakes - Cupcakes
French Tart's Note:
This is a recipe that I have adapted to my own tastes, based on Nigella Lawson's recipe in her Forever Summer cookbook; she developed this for the Lavender Trust, a British charity for young women with breast cancer. These delightful little cakes are easy to make and are ideal for gifts, high tea, picnics and parties. I used my own Lavender and Vanilla sugar recipe: French Lavender and Vanilla Sugar for Elegant Cakes and Bakes
My Private Note
Fairy - ...
Units: US | Metric
- 125 g self-raising flour
- 125 g very soft unsalted butter
- 125 g lavender and vanilla sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1Preheat the oven to 200ºC/gas mark 6 and line a 12-bun tin with paper cases.
- 2Put all the ingredients for the fairy cakes, except for the milk, into the bowl and mix well with a hand held mixer for about 2-3 minutes.
- 3Mix once more, adding enough milk to make a batter with a smooth texture.
- 4Pour the fairy cake batter into the waiting cake cases.
- 5Bake for about 10 to 15 minutes, by which time the sponge should be cooked through and springy to the touch.
- 6Remove from the oven, leave for 5 minutes or so, then arrange the fairy cakes in their paper cases on a wire rack to cool.
- 7Whilst they are cooling, make the icing.
- 8I like this to be pale violet in colour and to run off the cakes slightly - not too thick. So add the water to the icing sugar and gradually add the food colouring until the desired colour has been reached. The icing should be fairly loose, but not too runny.
- 9Top each fairy cake with the icing - it does NOT matter if it drizzles down the sides of the cake cases!
- 10Top each fairy cake with a little sprig of lavender before the icing's set dry.
Browse Our Top Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pretty Little Lavender Fairy Cakes - Cupcakes
Serving Size: 1 (44 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 166.7
- Calories from Fat 85
- Total Fat 9.5 g
- Saturated Fat 5.7 g
- Cholesterol 58.1 mg
- Sodium 147.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 10.2 g
- Protein 2.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: