Irish Lemon Fairy Cakes
- Ready In:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease and flour 24 muffin cups.
- Beat egg yolks till thick. Gradually add 1/3 cup sugar, beating continually.
- Stir in lemon peel and juice.
- Beat egg whites till soft peaks form then gradually add remaining 1/3 cup sugar and beat till stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold yolks into whites.
- Sift together flour and salt and fold into egg mixture.
- Fill muffin cups half full. Bake at 375 for about 20 minutes.
- Remove cakes from tins and cool completely on a wire rack.
- Using a sharp narrow bladed knife, cut into the top center of each cake, removing cone shape and set aside.
- Fill each cavity with about 1 teaspoon of lemon curd.
- Replace the “cones” into the filling on each cake and dust with confectioner’s sugar.
- Yield: 24 cakes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
The recipe was easy to put together and the flavor and texture are good but several important bits of information were missing that made the end result a little disappointing.<br/>The size of the muffin cups was not indicated so I used the standard old fashion ones I had which turned out to be too large. The standard size might yield 12 cakes. The mini ones might yield 24 but cutting out the center to fill them with a teaspoon of Lemon Curd will be a challenge. <br/>The other problem was the length of baking time. 20 minutes would have turned them into rocks at 375 degrees. At 15 minutes they were very brown, slightly over done but edible. <br/>However, they come close to a treat I remember from my childhood in Cleveland, Ohio from Hough Bakery on Kinsman Road.