Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
A wonderful accompaniment to poached lobster or grilled fish or chicken. Coutesy Skye Gyngell.
Make and share this Prawn and Saffron Butter recipe from Food.com.
- 80 ml olive oil
- 500 g raw prawn shells
- 20 saffron strands, plus a little warm water to soften
- 250 g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- In a heavy-based pan, heat the olive oil and fry the prawn shells until well-coloured and cooked. The oil will turn red. Remove the shells from the pan and allow to cool.
- Place a little warm water into a small bowl, add the saffron threads and allow to soften and infuse for 2-3 minutes.
- Place the prawn shells, softened saffron threads (discard the water), softened butter, lemon juice, sea-salt and freshly ground black pepper into a food processor and process to a purée.
- Take out of the pan and push through a drum sieve to remove all the shells. Place the mixture on a piece of foil, roll into a log shape and refrigerate until firm.
- To serve, top your freshly cooked fish or chicken with a good dollop of the butter.