Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Taken from Olive Magazine posted for ZWT6
- 100 g couscous
- olive oil, for frying
- 200 ml chicken stock, fresh
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 400 g chopped tomatoes
- 1 -2 teaspoon harissa
- 150 g raw peeled prawns
- 1 small bunch coriander leaves
- Put the couscous in a bowl with 1 tsp olive oil and just cover with boiling chicken stock. Cover and leave to swell for 5 minutes.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan, add the onion and garlic and fry for 1-2 minutes or until just tender.
- Add the cumin and fry for a minute, add the tomatoes and harissa and bubble everything together until it thickens slightly. Season well.
- Stir in the prawns and cook for 3 minutes, then scatter the coriander over. Serve with the couscous.
Loved this! It comes together so quickly, and it tastes great, too! Perfect for a summer dinner when it's too hot to keep the stove going for too long! I used Israeli toasted couscous because that's what I had on hand. I totally over-estimated how many shrimp would be in 150 grams, so I think I added about 4 times as much shrimp as was called for, but it worked out just fine -- DH would've laughed at me if I showed him a pan with only ~10 shrimp in it and told him it was supposed to feed both of us, lol! I kept everything else as written, and it was perfect for us (not too saucy, because then DH will pick out the shrimp and leave behind most of the wonderful sauce). I used the full 2 tsp of harissa, because we like spicy stuff -- I probably could've added more for DH, but I still wanted to be able to eat it too! I'll definitely be making this again, especially since now I have an open can of harissa in the fridge. Thanks for posting :)! Made for The Queens of Quisine for ZWT6 NA*ME (Celebrity Couscous Capers Challenge Part 2)
I am always on the lookout for quick lunches. I had a can of harissa open and am glad I found this recipe. It is easy to prepare & tasty too. I loved the spiciness, but it does need the couscous or rice to help with the spicy sauce. Made for ZWT6.
A little spicy for one of us, but that's not a flaw, really. I made the mistake of using canned tomatoes and would definitely use only fresh in the future; but that affected the appearance of the dish more than the flavor. Loved the mouth feel of the sauce and couscous, which is something extremely simple but outside of our habit. Made for Zaar World Tour 6, on behalf of the Voracious Vagabonds.