Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Turned out onto a platter, these potatoes make a lovely presentation for a buffet table, and taste sumtuous!! Evolved from "French Cooking by Eileen Reece"
- 5 ounces streaking bacon, thickly cut
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or 2 tablespoons corn oil
- 2 lbs red potatoes, thinly sliced
- salt and black pepper
- 4 ounces grated gruyere cheese
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons double cream
- Wipe out a heavy cast iron deep frypan (cocotte) with an oiled paper.
- Cut the bacon into 1/2 inch wide strips, and over a mediium heat cook until crisp and golden coloured, then add the oil and a first layer of potatoes.
- Season well with salt and pepper and cover with a layer of grated cheese.
- Continue filling the dish with alternate layers of seasoned potatoes and cheese until the dish is full.
- Sprinkle with finely chopped garlic and parsley.
- Cover the dish and place over a low heat.
- Cook for 30 minutes shaking the dish occasionally but do not stir the contents.
- When the potatoes are tender when pierced with a pointed knife, pour the cream over the surface, replace the lid and cook for a further 3 to 4 minutes.
- Serve the gratin immediately either in the dish or turned out on to a heated serving dish, crusted side uppermost.
How has this wonderful, simple recipe been overlooked. Give it a try. The only change we made was to use Jarlsberg Cheese rather than the Gruyere which we can't get here.
So very delicious!!! Made in cast iron skillet on top of the range for two. WOW! Came out tender and melty and wonderful. Bacon was juuuust right. Loved it!! Made for French Food and Foto Event in Cooking Photos.
This dish has great flavor. I started cooking it in the manner described but the top layer of potatoes didn't seem to be cooking through (and looked a bit anemic) and I was afraid the bottom layers would overcook. I finished it in a 375 degree oven and then put it under the broiler for a few minutes. Next time, I will probably cut the bacon in smaller pieces and toss the potatoes with the cooked bacon and grease then layer this mixture with the cheese. I will just bake next time. I also used Jarlsberg. The Gruyere was very expensive!