Recipe by Kitchen Quarterback
This lower-fat version of this popular potato dish only tastes indulgent. Serve with roast chicken or baked ham.
- 6 tablespoons reduced fat margarine, divided
- 3 tablespoons dry breadcrumbs
- 2 teaspoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 4 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 cups reduced-fat milk
- 1 (2 ounce) jar pimientos, sliced, drained
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups potatoes, peeled, diced
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine bread crumbs and parsley with 2 tablespoons of the margarine, melted; set aside.
- To make the White Sauce, melt remaining margarine in a saucepan over low heat; stir in flour. Cook for 3 minutes, but do not brown. Whisk in milk and continue cooking over low heat, stirring frequently, until sauce begins to thicken. Season with salt and pepper.
- Coat an 8x8-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Spread potatoes evenly over bottom; scatter the pimientos and sprinkle garlic powder. Pour sauce mixture over potato mixture and top with cheese. Sprinkle crumb mixture evenly over top. Bake at 425°F for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly and browned and potatoes are tender. Garnish with parsley, if desired.