Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
5-Ingredient Fix Contest Entry.As beautiful to look at as it is delicious, this 'gateau' is a dynamite way to use leftover mashed potatoes! I have made a mushroom version for years using simple crepes, but I think the potato crepes and prepared creamed spinach re-work is even yummier, and a presentation that will bring raves. Upgrade a simple roast or chicken to company fare with this recipe, serve by itself with a salad as a lighter meal, or pair with eggs for a really special brunch. Note: You can even prepare the batter ahead and let it rest overnight in the refrigerator. Bring to room temp and stir well before using, if you do. Or even, make the potato crepes ahead and refrigerate or freeze with sheets of waxed-paper between them. Thaw and bring to room temp to use though!
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees and lightly oil a low-sided baking sheet.
- Prepare Simply Potatoes Traditional Mashed Potatoes as directed on package. Measure and set aside 1 cup mashed potatoes, and refrigerate the rest of the potatoes for another use.
- Place the cup of potatoes, buttermilk, eggs and flour in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a metal blade. Process until batter is smooth, about 20 seconds, scraping sides of bowl as required. Pour batter into bowl and let rest a bit.
- Prepare creamed spinach according to package directions. Keep warm and covered while making the crepes.
- Lightly oil a 10-inch crepe or saute pan (preferably non-stick) and heat until hot. Using about 1/4 cup batter for each crepe, pour batter into pan, tilting pan in a circular motion to coat surface evenly with batter. Cook crepe until bottom is a light speckled brown and top appears set, about a minute. Turn and cook other side until brown spots appear, about 45 seconds. Slide crepe onto a warm plate.
- Repeat for a total of eight crepes, stirring batter between making each crepe, lightly re-oiling and heating pan for each, and stacking the crepes on the warm plate. Note: you should have enough batter to allow for a 'trial' or two to make sure the pan is ready. If not, put the offenders on the bottom!
- When all the crepes are made, form gateau as follows: place one crepe in center of baking sheet and spread with 1/4 cup spinach. Top with a second crepe, then spinach and continue alternate layers, ending with a crepe. Top this last crepe with a dollop of the creamed spinach in the center, but do not spread it.
- Place baking sheet in oven and bake gateau for 10 minutes, just to heat through.
- Transfer gateau to serving platter. Slice gateau in half and then each half in half again to serve four. Serve hot.