Recipe by Rev. Theresa
A hearty basic soup which creative cooks can use as a blank canvas. It has always been part of my kitchen, in lean days it was definitely a regular item on the menu. Comforting, filling and cheap it is one of the stars in my soup cookbook. Your pantry items and creativity will be your guide with this soup. You will find hints for vegatarian preparation.
Top Review by Tina Beth
I made this tonight for dinner with my in-laws and everyone raved about it! I did add some cheese to the soup, and then put some sour cream, bacon bits, and cheese on top--like a baked potato. Yummy! Thanks for sharing.
- 1⁄4 lb bacon (* dice before cooking, if using vegan or turkey product you will need 2 Tbs oil for browning)
- 1⁄2 cup diced onion
- 6 medium potatoes, cubed, unpeeled and scrubbed
- 4 cups water
- 2 (12 ounce) cans evaporated milk (of your choice cow, goat or vegan)
- 1⁄2 cup potato flakes ("Potato Buds" use more or less depending on desired thickness)
- salt & pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot brown the bacon until just crisp.
- Add onion and cook until translucent.
- Add the potatoes and stir until coated with fat or oil, drain excess fat.
- Carefully add the water & simmer until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Add the milk & adjust the seasoning. Don’t allow to boil, slowly add potato flakes until desired thickness is achieved. At this point you have very nice soup but, there so many things you can add to expand the flavor & textural experiences.
- See the list below for ideas.
- Irish Potato soup: add sliced scallions or leeks, a sprinkle of nutmeg & red pepper flakes just before adding milk.
- Clam chowder: two (4 oz.) cans diced clams, 1 (8 oz.)bottle clam juice in place of 1 cup water& a generous dash nutmeg (add these just before the milk).
- Corn chowder: 1 lb frozen corn or 1 (14 oz.)can creamed corn & 1 (14 oz.)can whole kernel corn, a splash or two of hot sauce.
- Fish Chowder: At least 1 pound cubed firm fish such as Cod, add about five minutes before the potatoes are done, season to taste with dill, white pepper & hot Hungarian paprika.
- The only real limitation is keeping the acid content down or you will curdle the milk. When working within a vegetarian diet you can use commercial meat substitutes or liquid smoke flavor. This quick, easy to make soup is an economical satisfying meal no matter what you choose to add. A loaf of bread & a salad make it a meal.