1 hr 20 mins
Inspired by Anna Pump. Ina Garten made this the other afternoon and she had me drooling. When we made it, we made it w/out basil (personal preference) and subbed with parsley. It was wonderful! Update - 06/28/09: Have been meaning to add this for quite some time - since I am not a basil lover I have been experimenting because I felt it needed something too! I added 5 oz of cottage cheese and 12 oz of ricotta, & added crushed red pepper flakes, to taste and it made it very good indeed! I imagine when you use the fresh basil with its wonderful aroma & taste - you may not need to make this slight change. Also, tried using less yolks & increased the amount of whites but that was for a certain somebody & have only done it once! ;) I don't like taking a recipe apart but I still maintain that a lot of these changes we are forced to make - circumstances are different for everyone. I have also made this with Sharp Cheddar - delicious!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 2 cups peeled and 1/2-inch diced boling potatoes (about 4 potatoes)
- 8 extra-large eggs
- 15 ounces ricotta cheese (or 7.5 oz of each kind, ricotta & cottage cheese) or 15 ounces cottage cheese (or 7.5 oz of each kind, ricotta & cottage cheese)
- 3/4 lb grated gruyere cheese (to make it more cost efficient, 37.5 oz gruyere & 37.5 oz Swiss cheese)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves or 3/4 cup chopped fresh dill or 3/4 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1/3 cup flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1Heat oven to 350ºF.
- 2Melt 3 tablespoons butter in a 10" ovenproof omelet pan over medium-low heat.
- 3Add the potatoes and fry them until cooked through, turning often, about 10-15 minutes.
- 4Melt the remaining 5 tablespoons of butter in a small dish in the microwave.
- 5Meanwhile, whisk the eggs, then stir in the ricotta, Guyere, melted butter, salt, pepper and basil.
- 6Sprinkle on the flour and baking powder and stir into the egg mixture.
- 7Pour the egg mixture over the potatoes and place the pan in the center of oven.
- 8Bake the frittata until it is browned and puffed, 50-60 minutes.
- 9It will be rounded and firm in the middle and knife inserted in the center should come out clean.
- 10Serve hot.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Potato Basil Frittata (Barefoot Contessa) Ina Garten
Serving Size: 1 (215 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 508.4
- Calories from Fat 344
- Total Fat 38.3 g
- Saturated Fat 21.7 g
- Cholesterol 350.8 mg
- Sodium 417.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 1.0 g
- Protein 27.7 g