Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
Another German recipe that is very good, and different.
Make and share this Potato-Balls/Kartoffelkloesse (pronounced "Kleasa") recipe from Food.com.
- 2 lbs potatoes, raw,peeled
- 1 lb potato, boiled,peeled
- 1 big roll (Kaiser-Broetchen, that's what the original recipe calls for but I made it before with toasted bread)
- Grate the raw potatoes real fine.
- Add some baking soda so they don't turn brown.
- Set aside so the water can come out.
- Pour into a cotton-bag and squeeze until no more moisture comes out.
- Catch the liquids that come out and save in bowl.
- let sit so the starch can sink to the bottom.
- Then put the raw potatoes back in another bowl.
- Mash the boiled potatoes and add to the raw potatoes.
- Now very careful and slowly pour the water out of the bowl and save the starch because you need to add it to the potatoe-mixture.
- Add a little bit of salt and knead well.
- Cut the bread in small dices and toast in some butter to a golden brown.
- Form fist sized balls (form the balls with cold moist hands).
- poke a hole in the middle and put some bread dices in the hole, close back up.
- In a big pot with almost boiling water let them.
- simmer for about 20 minutes Don't boil other than that you'll have Potato Soup.