Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
I almost feel bad posting this recipe, but if you are on a budget, you know bologna is a super cheap way to put a meal on the table!
- 3 cups bologna, cubed
- 6 medium potatoes, sliced thin
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cheddar cheese soup or 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon dried onion flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 10 ounces frozen peas
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Combine potato and bologna in a shallow 6 cup casserole dish.
- Mix soup, milk, onion and sage and heat to boiling in medium saucepan.
- Add peas and cook 1 minute; stir in cheese.
- Remove from heat and pour over bologna and potatoes.
- Bake at 375 F for 30 minute or until hot and bubbly.
- (You may need to watch this one and stir during cooking-- the sauce could be too thin or thick depending on the type and brand of soup and kind of milk you use-- just keep an eye on it and use your best judgement!).
Instead of using canned mushroom soup make a bechamel sauce and add cremini mushrooms. You can do the same with any soup
I made this for dinner the other night. For the soup option I used cheddar cheese soup. It did take a little longer than the recipe called for to get the potatoes to cook through. We all ended up picking the bologna out, but enjoyed the potatoes and sauce. I would make these again and just leave the meat out. Mmmm, comfort food.
My hubby makes a German dish similar to this using ring bologna, potatoes, pickles and a cream sauce with laughing cow cheese - YUM!! A good comfort food!