Recipe by KIMMIE KOO
This started as a simple recipe that really lacked flavor and texture, so I tweaked it a lot and came up with this. Great for a nice family dinner, or even a big get together. What ever the occasion, everyone always loves it.
- 4 lbs pot roast (trimmed of excess fat)
- 1 white onion, large and chopped
- 2 (4 ounce) cans button mushrooms, cut in half
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans Contadina diced tomatoes, marinara style
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 tablespoon Italian spices
- 1 teaspoon ground sage
- 1 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 packets herb-ox beef bouillon
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (for frying)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup flour, for thickening
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat, brown roast on all sides.
- remove from pan, and add onion and mushrooms.
- Saute 5 minutes.
- While sauteing vegetables, in a large bowl combine tomatoes, wine, water, bouillon, and all seasonings.
- Dump the sautéed vegetables into the tomato mixture.
- Put the roast back into the pan, and dump the tomato mixture on top of it.
- cover and turn heat down to medium low.
- Flip roast over after 45 minutes.
- Cook an additional 45 minutes then turn the heat up to medium, so it starts bubbling steadily.
- Cook for 10 more minutes, then remove the roast.
- Stir in the sour cream, and beat until smooth.
- gradually add flour or cornstarch until it thickens.
- Serve over egg noodles with the roast, and enjoy.