Prep 40 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is the best I can come to Mom's meatloaf, to which I have to say there is no equal. But hey, I tried. :) I've found that dusting the top of the meatloaf with a generous portion of black pepper, and then adding a light topping of ketchup for the last 20 minutes adds a nice spicy glazed topping to the meatloaf. To totally make this the main dish of a comfort meal, serve with a hearty helping of either garlic mashed potatoes or mac & cheese.
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 large onion
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese or 1⁄2 cup romano cheese
- 1 egg
- 4 tablespoons A.1. Original Sauce
- 4 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons black pepper
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Place meat in large mixing bowl.
- Mince onion.
- Add onion, bread crumbs, cheese, and spices to the bowl.
- Beat the egg well.
- Add egg, A1, and ketchup to the bowl.
- Mix well.
- Place mixture into loaf pan.
- Bake at 350º for 90 minutes.
Possum, this was a really good meatloaf. I must confess to reducing the pepper and pepper flakes for our sons tastes. This is a really moist meatloaf, but it cuts well and is really good next day on sandwiches. I dusted the top with a mix of salt, pepper, paprika and brown sugar (Debra Dolman's Tortured Chicken mix actually) 20 minutes before it was cooked. Yum.