1/3 Photos of Ponzu Salmon
The ponzu sauce from this recipe is fantastic on any seafood. The sauce recipe makes 1 cup
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Northwest Ponzu Sauce
- 1For the sauce:.
- 2Use a zester to remove the colorful outer rind from the grapefruit, the orange and the lime; save the zest on the side.
- 3If you don't have a zester, use a vegetable peeler to remove the rind, then cut it into julienne strips with a sharp knife.
- 4Juice the fruits and combine the juices.
- 5Put the sugar in a dry pan over medium-high heat and swirl the pan until the sugar has begun to dissolve; it will be caramel-colored.
- 6Pour in the fruit juice and step back because the mixture will boil and steam rapidly before settling into a steady boil.
- 7Boil for about 2 minutes, swirling the pan now and then to dissolve the caramelized sugar.
- 8When the caramelized sugar has dissolved, add the soy sauce and vinegar.
- 9Drop in half of the citrus zest that was set aside before the fruits were juiced and continue boiling the sauce for 2 or 3 minutes, or until it is slightly thickened.
- 10The zest may be left in or strained out.
- 11Serve the sauce warm or at room temperature.
- 12For the Salmon: Rinse the salmon fillets, pat them dry and sprinkle with the sea salt.
- 13Put a large, nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and allow the pan to preheat for 1 minute.
- 14Put the oil in the pan; it should be almost smoking-hot.
- 15Put the salmon skinned-side-up into the pan and allow the salmon to cook undisturbed for 4 to 5 minutes or until a crisp brown crust has formed on the underside of the fish.
- 16Turn the fillets and cook 5 minutes longer or until fish is just cooked through.
- 17Make a puddle of ponzu sauce in the center of four plates and plant the pan-seared fish fillets on top.
- 18Garnish the fish with reserved zest from a grapefruit, an orange and a lime.
Browse Our Top Saltwater Fish Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Saltwater Fish Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ponzu Salmon
Serving Size: 1 (325 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 376.3
- Calories from Fat 130
- Total Fat 14.4 g
- Saturated Fat 2.2 g
- Cholesterol 78.8 mg
- Sodium 1715.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 16.1 g
- Protein 37.8 g