Recipe by WizzyTheStick
This uses raw eggs but my brother (who uses an overproof rum in his ) swears that the alcohol has a sterilizing effect and kills off any harmful bacteria:-) Hmm...the jury is still out on that but what is certain is that Christmas in Trinidad would be unheard of with out this island version of eggnog. You may also pasteurize your own eggs by heating in a bowl over a pan of simmering water. Stir constantly so you do not cook the eggs, and heat to 160 degrees F
- 6 eggs
- 1 lime, rind of
- 3 cups evaporated low-fat milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups condensed milk (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon angostura aromatic bitters
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh nutmeg, grated
- 1⁄2 cup rum (or more)
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat eggs and lime peel until light and fluffy.
- Add evaporated milk.
- Sweeten to taste with condensed milk.
- Add bitters, grated nutmeg and rum according to one's taste.
- Mix well.
- Remove the lime peel, bottle and refrigerate.
- Serve with crushed ice and a sprinkle of freshly grated nutmeg.
- Servings are approximate because the ingredients are to taste and some people will use more or less of an item.