Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a recipe from Mario Batali, and is incorporated into 'Timpano Di Maccheroni' (the mythic pasta dome, Timpano Di Maccheroni (The Mythic Pasta Dome)). Fabulous meatballs. My husband has resigned his own recipe in lieu of this one.
- 3 cups day old bread, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 1⁄4 lbs ground beef
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3⁄4 cup grated pecorino cheese
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped Italian parsley
- 1⁄4 cup pine nuts, baked for 8 minutes in a 400 degree oven
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 1⁄2 cups basic tomato sauce (Basic Tomato Sauce)
- In a shallow bowl, soak the bread cubes in water to cover for a minute or two.
- Drain the bread cubes and squeeze with your fingers to press out the excess moisture (make sure you do this well).
- In a large bowl, combine the bread cubes, beef, eggs, garlic, pecorino, parsley, toasted pine nuts, salt and pepper, and mix with your hands to incorporate.
- With wet hands, form the mixture into 12-15 meatballs, each smaller than a tennis ball, but larer than a golf ball.
- In a large, heavy-bottomed skillet, heat the oil over medium heat until almost smoking.
- Add the meatballs and, working in batches if necessary to avoid overcrowding the pan, cook until deep golden brown on all sides, about 10 minutes.
- Add the tomato sauce and reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Cook all the meatballs for 30 minutes.
- Set aside and allow to cool; save the sauce for another use.