1 hr 20 mins
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups day old bread, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 1/4 lbs ground beef
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup grated pecorino cheese
- 1/4 cup finely chopped Italian parsley
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, baked for 8 minutes in a 400 degree oven
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 1/2 cups basic tomato sauce (Basic Tomato Sauce)
- 1In a shallow bowl, soak the bread cubes in water to cover for a minute or two.
- 2Drain the bread cubes and squeeze with your fingers to press out the excess moisture (make sure you do this well).
- 3In a large bowl, combine the bread cubes, beef, eggs, garlic, pecorino, parsley, toasted pine nuts, salt and pepper, and mix with your hands to incorporate.
- 4With wet hands, form the mixture into 12-15 meatballs, each smaller than a tennis ball, but larer than a golf ball.
- 5In a large, heavy-bottomed skillet, heat the oil over medium heat until almost smoking.
- 6Add the meatballs and, working in batches if necessary to avoid overcrowding the pan, cook until deep golden brown on all sides, about 10 minutes.
- 7Add the tomato sauce and reduce the heat to a simmer.
- 8Cook all the meatballs for 30 minutes.
- 9Set aside and allow to cool; save the sauce for another use.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Polpette Alla Napoletana (Neapolitan Meatballs)
Serving Size: 1 (1580 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 222.1
- Calories from Fat 136
- Total Fat 15.1 g
- Saturated Fat 4.0 g
- Cholesterol 78.6 mg
- Sodium 447.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 2.8 g
- Protein 12.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: